Many of the mechanical designs that Redgarden does are in support of other aspects of an instrument or product. On many occasions, we have modeled and designed enclosures and three-dimensional outlines for printed circuit boards. However, our capabilities are much broader than this. We can also provide thermal analysis and other mechanical engineering upon request. Most of our mechanical designs are in SolidWorks.
For complex projects, we can assemble and manage a team of electrical, mechanical, software, and manufacturing engineers along with related support including electronics assemblers and technicians. Engineering can be provided on a best-effort, hourly rate (the usual method) or as a fixed-bid (with good project definition and understanding; usually a 30% mark-up). We provide the client with a single project invoice separately describing the work of each contributor.
Our services span the typical formal project phases (research, planning, design input & output, verification & validation, transition to manufacturing, and sustaining). Less formally, most projects include the following elements:
- Communicate. Keep clear communication channels (through email, telephone, and face-face meetings) with the client, vendors, affiliates, and other engineers working on the project.
- Gather requirements. Write a specification. Create a budget and a list of milestones. Review & iterate as necessary.
- Research & explore. Simulate or prototype critical items.
- Do the engineering design. Review with the customer.
- Build, troubleshoot, and modify the design as needed. Test against the specification. Document the design.
- Support the users. Wrap up the project and acknowledge team members. Appreciate what was achieved overall.
- Manufacturing phase-in. Provide support as needed to move the design into production. Identify and audit vendors, get volume pricing, write manfuacturing work instructions, etc.
Training & Expert Testimony
On-Site training is available for engineers, technicians, scientists, and others on such topics as:
- Electronic Design
- PCB Layout
- Electronics Troubleshooting
- Signal integrity & designing to minimize electro-magnetic compatibility (EMC/EMI) issues
- Spice Simulation
- Drawing clear, concise electronics schematics
- Writing clear, concise programmable logic code
Expert testimony are offered, particularly in areas of experience.